Now that the rains are here, what can be more nauseating as the sight of a roach or cockroach. Cockroaches are one of the most disgusting visitors, or should I say part home owners. I am indeed yet to find anyone who likes them. Can you imagine sleeping with your mouth open and one of these crawl past your… ew! These hideous critters carry germs and diseases. Some buzz, some even fly. They multiply eggs by the thousands and infect homes all over the country. Think of it, if cockroaches have a Facebook page, who would like their page?
By their nature, cockroaches can stay in an environment for up to one month without food, 2 weeks without water, one week without its head and can even hold its breath for up to 40 minutes! Strong!! Aren’t they? Cockroaches are better at hiding than we are in finding them. Because they are nocturnal by nature, the fact that you see one is indicative that they are much more lurking somewhere. The few that we see during the day could simply mean that they were forced out by overcrowding! Their debris and skin, dead bodies and droppings can aggregate allergies in children and highly sensitive individuals. Therefore we must not allow them to enjoy the luxury of our apartments hence as they invade, they can eat or feed on anything, vomit and continually defecate while eating. These indeed pose significant health hazards.
HOW TO GET RID OF THEM.
- Different species of cockroaches respond to different extermination tactics. However no matter the species, prevention and sanitation are always the best keys to successfully exterminating them or better still contact an expert.
- It should be noted that the smell of their feces attract other family members of theirs. Therefore you will do well to scrub identifiable surfaces with hot soapy water. This will obviously decrease their attraction.
- Eliminate water. Keep your environment as dry as possible. Water or a humid environment is one of the most important factors in cockroach’s’ survival. They often come indoors during periods of drought in search of moisture. Therefore be certain that plumbing leaks around your kitchen, bathrooms, soakaways are fixed and properly sealed.
- Food and leftovers are other major attractants. They do not need much food to survive though. However that little must be denied them. Therefore dispose your garbage daily and seal bin lids while area is kept clean. Dishes must not be left undone overnight. Crumbs or food debris must also not be left on toasters, ovens, microwaves, refrigerators etc.
- Discard all harborages as quickly as possible. Cockroaches love dark places that are warm and moist. Common places that can provide such heaven for them are tight spaces like stacks of newspapers/magazines, card boards, piles of clothing, cracks on the wall or even unused pile of blocks.
- Call an exterminator now on (0)7037778518, or check here